Wednesday, November 15, 2006

 

Mission Statement

I cannot tell you the number of times I have struggled with some obscure (or obvious) problem, that no web site or book addressed. It often times seems as if no one else in the world ever has problems. The books often read like a reprint of the online help -- "click here, set this option to 'foo' and you're done!" Yet no matter how many times I compare what the book says to what I have done, it simply refuses to work. SQL Server will typically cough up verbose error messages that may or may not have any relation to reality. My biggest complaint about books is they never seem to be talking about my specific case. I think this means that I am doing everything wrong, and so thus the title of the blog.

So, when I struggle with such an issue, and I cannot find any obvious solutions in the books or online, I will post it here, along with the resulting solution (if any). The fact that the problem may be caused, in large part, by my bone headed approach is irrelevant. I work in a school district. I know I am not the only bonehead out there. Please feel free to submit any similar stories you have. Accepting your stupidity is only the first step. Letting everyone know just how stupid you are in a public forum is the next. This is why God made blogs.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?